Wednesday, March 10, 2004

I'm a bit worried. For the third day running the Google ad banner at the top of the page is empty. Does this suggest my life is empty to? Before there were adverts for climbing gear and courses up there - but now there is nothing. Am I so boring that they can't connect me to any type of commercial activity?

Politics and Celebrity: Finns seem to like to vote in MPs and MEPs who have been some kind of minor celebrity in the past. The former World Rally Champion Juha Kankkunen has announced that he will be standing as an MEP for the National Coalition Party in this spring's Euro Election. His announcement was accompanied with some less than choice words, on which I gave my thoughts on IESAF:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post subject: Vote for Juha! He's a bit bored.

From today's HSi - the story on Kankkunen standing as an MEP:

Quote:
"I'm interested in politics. There was a lot of politics going on in the rally business as well: sponsorship, marketing the make of the car, and so on", Kankkunen lists.
"But now I am too old for all that, so I have to come up with something else to occupy my time with."


So Juha wants to be your MEP because, well, he can't think of anything better to do.

Lets try and think of some other ways for Herra Kankkunen to fill his days which don't involve such a cavalier attitude to the democratic-process...

How about:

1) basket-weaving
2) providing driving lessons to deprived teenagers
3) substance-abuse

please feel free to contribute more.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The thread will probably get very few responses because I'm starting to think that not many other IESAFers are interested in Finnish politics. Anyone vaguely interested can keep an eye on its (lack of) progress here.