Saturday, June 28, 2014

For sale: Kona Blast (19 inch frame)

Wanted: one adventurous soul to continue exploring the tracks and footpaths of Finland with my dear old friend and trusty-steed, Mr Kona Blast. Really nothing fancy, but a well used and well loved 'proper' mountain bike, that has proven itself safe and competent on rockiest and rootiest of southern Finland's single track. The frame is 19 inch, meaning the bike suits people around my height (176 cms or just under 5'10") or taller if you want standover height.


The frame is the classic aluminum Kona. The suspension basic Marzocchi; nothing plush but soaks up the hits well enough for the type of xc riding I've done. The gearing is Shimano Deore which I think works amazingly well for money (one of the visual indicators on shifters snapped off in an unwanted bike/rock/me interaction but that doesn't effect the function). I have upgraded the brakes to Hayes Nine hydraulics from the original mechanical disc brakes. They are great and give assured control on even the steepest of descents (or just when some prat lets their dog run in front of you on a Helsinki cycle path!).


The drive train (crankset, cassette and chain) were all been replaced last year, so there is loads of life in current set up. I replaced the back tire just a few weeks ago.


I will supply the bike with a spare set of studded, winter tyres, some spare inner tubes and the original Kona flat pedals.


It's a great bike for Finnish cross-country terrain. I've had some great adventures on it, including bikepacking on some southern Finnish trails like the including parts of the Ilvesreitti and the 7 Brothers Trail. I would happily keep using it myself, except for we are trying to streamline our stuff before moving to UK. It is the perfect bike for someone who thinks they want to try out "proper mountain biking" but does not want to invest in buying a pricey brand new bike yet.