Monday, March 29, 2004

On IESAF last week much discussion was provoked by this campaign poster from the Red Cross. The text simply says: "Of course there is no racism in Finland".

So I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I fought my way on to the already crowded 08.11 K train from Puistola to Helsinki this morning. There were people standing in the door area and people standing in aisles of the carriages. I looked - and really checked carefully as I could hardly believe it - but every seat was taken in the carriage except for one. It was next to the one black person in the carriage. Of course, it could have been coincidence - but you would have to be very generous of spirit to believe so. As it seemed no one else was wanted it, I quicky took the seat and enjoyed a comfortable trip into the city.